What’s your organic IQ?
We all know that organic farming is great for the planet, but how much do you know about what’s involved? Why not try our pesticide-free, all-natural quiz on the whole family to see who’s the mastermind of all things organic…
1. What does a cow on an organic farm mainly eat?
2. If a food label says ‘made with organic ingredients’, what percentage of the product must be organic?
3. True or false: If a label says ‘100% natural’ it must be organic
4. What’s the number one answer Australians give when they’re asked why they buy organic milk, yoghurt and cheese?
5. Which of these statements about organic dairy farming is correct?
READ MORE: 10 incredible benefits of organic farming
6. Organophosphate pesticides are banned in Europe and most of the US, but still widely used in Australia on non-organic farms. They’re a neurotoxin thought to poison at least 25 million farm workers in third world countries each year. What are they also used to make?
7. True or false: organic milk is healthier than regular milk?
8. The soil quality on organic farms is higher than on conventional ones for many reasons. Which of these is NOT an advantage of organic soil?
READ MORE: Where to buy Barambah Organics near you
9. What makes shoppers 13 per cent more likely to buy an organic product at a grocery store?
10. How long does it take to convert a convention farm into an organic one?
2 a. This is a trick used by some food producers. For all you know, only one or two ingredients are organic. At Barambah, all our ingredients are certified organic.
3 False – it actually means very little. Some chemicals and acids occur naturally, as do saturated fats and salt so it’s not necessarily healthy or beneficial for the environment. Whereas folic acid is artificially made from vitamin B so it’s not natural, but is still good for you.
6 b. Yes, really! It works by attacking insects’ brains, and there’s evidence that, over time, it may cause neurological damage to humans who eat sprayed crops as well as farm workers.
7 True. Organic milk has naturally higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids which help brain development, and five times as much conjugated linoleic acid that can prevent diabetes and restrict the growth of some tumours.
8 c. Organic soil can’t destroy carbon, but it is much more effective at trapping it underground so it can’t contribute to climate change.
10 c. Actually it’s a minimum of three years before a farm can be certified organic. Soil samples are examined to make sure they’re free of pesticides and other chemicals associated with intensive farming.
Your Organic IQ
Let’s see how you rated…
0-3 Cheesed off!
4-7 Milking it!
8-10 Organic mastermind!